Globalize this, globalize that ... can it be good or bad?!

Wednesday, September 17, 2008


One general truth most people seem to accept is that being globalized is not an option. Everyone will, in smaller of bigger dosages get their shot of globalizatioan. This has never been more apparent to me than now, since I'm 'drowning' in globalization and have the chance to see and point out globaization's effects in my native country. Coming from a Southern European Country which is in still quite traditional and very conservative, I feel very positive about our world becoming more globalized but at the same time I do have reservations concerning it. For me and all the people living in smaller countries, the main concern is the preserving of national identity. And even though a lot of people in my country would argue that noone can take away your national identity simple because noone can take away something that they did not give to you ... which is quite true in theory. But, witnessing the younger generations of Macedonia I realize that in a few generations parents-to-be will not want be able to teach and transfer bits of that national identity to their children because somewhere during the process they themselves have such a feeling of national identity, at least not as strong as my generation has at the moment. Many countries fearing frustration and conflicts, and simply protecting themselves from the influence of the West, have closed themselves up to foreign influences. This is also not the solution because as the whole world goes forward people in those countries face limitations and are look up as barbarians.

Globalization cannot be stopped, but there have to measures taken that it is balanced out between tradition, culture and the sense of belonging.

0 comments: